|Mission Statement and Finances|
To promote the development of a comprehensive park system that provides recreational opportunities for all residents, as well as to offer diversified programs and activities that provide personal enjoyment, contribute to a sense of self-fulfillment, and enhance the quality of life of its residents.
The Plainfield Park District...
- ...is a separate and distinct public agency with the primary purpose of providing park sites and facilities, as well as recreation programs and services, to meet the needs of all residents of the district.
- ...is empowered by State statute to levy taxes, issue bonds, accept gifts and donations, and collect fees to provide park and recreation facilities and programs.
- ...encompasses all of Plainfield Township and portions of Wheatland Township in Will County and Na-Au-Say Township in Kendall County, including areas of Bolingbrook, Crest Hill, Joliet, Plainfield and Romeoville, as well as some unincorporated areas.
- ...covers more than 40 square miles and serves a population of more than 100,000 people.
- ...is the 9th largest park district in the state of Illinois based on population served.
- ...maintains more than 80 parks comprised of more than 1,500 acres.
- ...maintains seven building sites including the Recreation / Administration Center, Normantown Trails Equestrian Center, Ottawa Street Pool, River Edge Recreation Center, and Streams Recreation Center. The Park District also provides programming in leased space at St. John Lutheran Church.
- ...employs more than 40 full-time staff, 80 part-time staff, and approximately 150 seasonal employees.
- ...strives to provide as many recreational opportunities to its constituency as possible, encompassing all ages, interests, and abilities. Almost 14,000 people registered for programs in FY 2008-09, and more than 500 unique programs (more than 1,800 sections) were offered. Classes and events are continuously being added and expanded to meet the growing needs of the community.
2012 Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR) for the fiscal year ending June 30, 2012
Plainfield Riverfront Master Plan
The Plainfield Riverfront Master Plan includes a proposed riverwalk and other recreational amenities.